Daily Prompt: Five Items – Revisiting a classic question, what are the five items you must have on a desert island?
Chapstick, Paul Simon’s Graceland, my journal, my Leatherman and water purifying pump/Nalgene combo thing my dad gave me.
Or at least that’s how 17 year old me often answered.
Still not too far off, but now I just can’t think of necessities in quite the same way. Also, what did I think I was going to do with that album? Play frisbee?
As an adult, the novelty of this question has worn off for me, because most desert islands have wifi.
Beyond that kind of bizarre, kind of sad fact, I also don’t really need those things. Okay, yes, practically I might die without fresh water and/or a sharp tool when left alone in the wilderness, but what I find as I get older is that I actually need very little.
Don’t get me wrong, I am not above some good old fashioned retail therapy, but what I need, I mean need, is community.
(And gin. Sweet, sweet gin. You think there’s a bar on this island? I bet there’s a bar on this island, I bet it’s a swim up bar! I love those.)
Community that comes in all shapes and sizes from my blood relations, to my partner, to my geographic neighbors, to my friends across the globe. A safe and loving and challenging group(s) that don’t let me float through life, but deeply value it for the wonder of being alive.
That constantly make me want to be a better woman, to help me in that effort, and throw in a few (okay many) ridiculous escapades to remind me not to take it all too seriously.
So in the end, I take them. All of them. In a great big snuggle pile on this island.
(With a great bartender.)
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Under the Monkey Tree
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | soulfoodwords
- Charge your phone | Photos to inspire you
- Alone in a Deserted Island. | paperdollsletter
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Basically Beyond Basic
- Five Items | Geek Ergo Sum
- 5 Items | Jab and Cross followed by Cross and Stitch
- Five Items | Insanitree
- Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This
- Undeniable | Active Army Wife
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Joanne Lynn
- What Five Things Would You Not Want? (This Prompt Is Stupid) | The Jittery Goat
- The simple bare necessities of life | RPMAS
- Necessities | The Magic Black Book
- Daily Prompt: Five Items « cognitive reflection
- 5 Elements of Baking | A Crazy Chef
- Daily Prompt: My Five Must Have’s | Musings&Rants
- Desert Island Day Dreaming | Eyes to Heart
- CAstaway – True Story | crookedeyebrows
- My Desert Island Necessities | Evelinasec’s Blog
- Across the Blank Gap
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Musical Foodie Love
- Media to Survive? | Across the Blank Gap
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- My.Vivid.Visions | Daily Prompt: Five Items – Really?
- Daily Prompt: Queen of the Island | One Starving Activist
- Daily Prompt : Five Items.. A HELP SIGN ? | LoudThoughtsVoicedOut
- Daily prompt: Five things | ferwam
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Finding Life
- Deserted Island? Yes please! | Not a Punk Rocker
- The Lurker’s List | Necessities On A Deserted Island
- NEEDS VERSUS WANTS? | Emotional Fitness
- DP Challenge: Five Must Have Items (Smoke Monster Ball Puncher is a Must!) « Morning Pages
- Five Items | Flowers and Breezes
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Memory Bank of the Nocturnal
- The Bear Necessities… | Haiku By Ku
- Daily Prompt: Five Items » My Life, My Way, My Words
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Wordz on a Page
- Castaway |
- Passport to Life | Upstairs Productions
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Awl and Scribe
- Five Items | Finale to an Entrance
- Natural Selection | bronte’s world
- DAILY PROMPT: PACKING FOR THE ISLAND – A PERFECT WORLD | SERENDIPITY
- The Courage to Start | The Land Slide Photography
- Take A Trip With Me! Please? | Mountains or Molehills
- Bring me home | Life is great
- Take five. | Hope* the happy hugger
- Lost at Sea | The Joyful Soul
- Bare Necessities | A Room of One’s Own
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Crow Arrow, Inc.
- Deserted Island! Five Items…?! | It’s my blog, innit…
- Sand, Serenity and Sadness (The Daily Prompt – Five Items) | Simply Silent
- Necessities | Rebecca Barray
- How To Avoid The Media In Five Easy Steps | Just Visiting This Planet
- Daily Prompt: 5 Items | eBook Sharing
- Oh the Priorities | The Pigeon Blog
- Five Items | The Nameless One
- My Five Items | emilykarn
- The Isle of Bliss | A.C. Melody
- Five Items | The Cutter Rambles
- My Desert Island Necessities | Poeme Sur Le Web Blog
- Five Items: Necessities – Free Shipping + $5 Discount Link – Khana’s Web @ Society6 | Khana’s Web
- Five items to bring to a deserted island | Words ‘n Pics
- Five Items: Necessities | My Conscious Self
- These Are Five of My Favorite Things
- Necessaties – Oh Now i Realised | Dreams to Reality !
- Staying in a less than 3 star hotel is as close to roughing it as I get. | thoughtsofrkh
- Be Prepared | djgarcia94
- Surfer Rob: King of the Island! | Rob’s Surf Report
- Deserted Island Wish List | Kansa Muse
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | kimmiecode 🙂
- Five Items | Lead us from the Unreal to the Real
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Faerie Thoughts
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | standinginthestorm
- Need | Words on a Page
- Five Items | When the Words Won’t Come
- Five Items | Veronica Coons
- Five Things to Have in the Desert | maunderingsofaninja
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | On My Front Porch
- An Uncrowded Island | Charron’s Chatter
- Daily Prompt : On A Deserted Island | Scattered Thoughts
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | SIM | ANTICS
- Stranded on a Deserted Island? | Cheri Speak
- Five Items | Eldy’s